Anyways - I've come a long way from just heating soup on the stove. I rarely let Chris cook, just cause I love doing it so much.
I learned a lot from my Mum and Jock - as well as my Dad and my Grandma. In fact - for my 19th Birthday I received a handwritten cook book from my Grandma, with all her recipes.
By far my favorite thing to cook is Nachynka - a Ukrainian cornmeal casserole. SO GOOD.
I posted a series of photos on Instagram one day of my dinner. I made homemade cabbage rolls - nachynka and perogies which Chris and I made last month.
I love the versatility of my casserole - it goes well with anything really. Chicken, Pork etc. Plus its really not that hard to make!
What you will need:
- 1/2 cup of Butter
- 1 medium onion - chopped
- 1 cup of cornmeal
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of milk
- 2 1/2 cups of boiling water
What to do:
- Melt butter in large skillet.
- Add chopped onions and sauté until tender.
- Add the cornmeal and fry for about 5 minutes. DO NOT BURN.
- Pour in boiling water (a little at a time) and stir constantly
- Add Salt and Pepper
- Beat eggs and milk together and SLOWLY add to hot cornmeal mixture. Careful not to scramble the egg.
- Once incorporated - pour into casserole dish and back at 350* for 45 - 60 minutes.
Let stand 5 minutes and serve!