Wednesday, March 6, 2013

My Favoite Dinner

I LOVE to cook. I've always loved to cook. I can remember the first time my Mom allowed me to heat soup on the stove - it didn't end well. I cranked the element to high and watched it turn bright red. I then proceeded to touch it with my middle finger. The ONLY reason it was my middle finger was so I could hold it up to show people. Yes, I am crazy - and NO - I do not know why I did that. I think I even blamed my sisters for it.

Anyways - I've come a long way from just heating soup on the stove. I rarely let Chris cook, just cause I love doing it so much.

I learned a lot from my Mum and Jock - as well as my Dad and my Grandma. In fact - for my 19th Birthday I received a handwritten cook book from my Grandma, with all her recipes.

By far my favorite thing to cook is Nachynka - a Ukrainian cornmeal casserole. SO GOOD.



I posted a series of photos on Instagram one day of my dinner. I made homemade cabbage rolls - nachynka and perogies which Chris and I made last month.

I love the versatility of my casserole - it goes well with anything really. Chicken, Pork etc. Plus its really not that hard to make!

What you will need:
  • 1/2 cup of Butter
  • 1 medium onion - chopped
  • 1 cup of cornmeal
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup of milk
  • 2 1/2 cups of boiling water

What to do:
  • Melt butter in large skillet.
  • Add chopped onions and sauté until tender.
  • Add the cornmeal and fry for about 5 minutes. DO NOT BURN.
  • Pour in boiling water (a little at a time) and stir constantly
  • Add Salt and Pepper
  • Beat eggs and milk together and SLOWLY add to hot cornmeal mixture. Careful not to scramble the egg.
  • Once incorporated - pour into casserole dish and back at 350* for 45 - 60 minutes.

Let stand 5 minutes and serve!

ENJOY!

PhotobucketVote For Us @ topbabyblogs.com! Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you think...even if you don't like it!