Monday, January 28, 2013

Downtown & Perogies!

Over the weekend Chris and I decided to take the boys to Granville Island. I must say - it was a TERRIBLE idea to go down on the weekend. It was SO packed and we went right through nap time. Parenting FAIL!

First off - it was raining and cold. Secondly - we do not have a double stroller and James doesn't like to walk all the time and enjoys running off! Graham wasn't going to cooperate in the carrier so I gave up. Right off the bat James wanted nothing to do with the kids play place. He kept saying "I don't like toys!" Umm - really kid?? You don't like toys?? He had a melt down right away.

We decided to go and get something to eat - Pizza seemed like an easy choice. He loves pizza... WELL - not that day! "I don't like pizza. It's yuty" UGH! Nothing was going to please this little guy. Graham only fussed once. He needed a change and a nurse. Easy enough. We went through the whole market - and boy was it ever crowded. NEVER AGAIN!

We thought we would look around outside while it wasn't raining and again James threw a fit. It was nap time and he needed to go down... BADLY! So Chris took Graham and James crawled into the stroller. He looked really really big and just odd.

He finally fell asleep and we decided it was time to go. We spent only 2 hours downtown and while driving home Chris and I both agreed we won't be doing that again any time soon!



Yesterday Chris and I made Perogies! Now I have only ever made them once before and my Grandma and Gramps were down to help. I love Perogies but I LOVE homemade ones even more. There is something about them... a comfort food for me.

Now there are SO many different varieties to make but in my family we do a cheese and potato mix. My Grandma said to roll the dough out with a pasta maker as you get a uniform dough but we hand pinch them closed. I must say it was A LOT of work.

After everything was said and done Chris and I made 18 dozen perogies. Enough to last at least 3 months HA!! They are super easy to make once you get your rhythm.

Perogie Dough (My Baba's recipe)

5 cups of all purpose flour
1 Egg - beaten
1 Tbsp. Salt
1/2 cup oil
2 cups of boiling water

In a large bowl add flour and salt. Make a well and add beaten egg and oil to well. Slowly add the boiling water (CAREFUL IT REALLY HOT) and mix by hand till all combined.

Turn out onto floured surface and knead till soft and there are no more flour clumps. Set back into bowl, cover and let stand.

Perogie Filling (Baba's recipe)

12 medium russet potatoes - peeled and cut into quarters
3 Tbsp. of milk
1 cup Cheese Whiz * you can use grated cheese as well but I like the ease of Cheese Whiz*
1/4 cup of Onion flakes

Boil potatoes in water and milk till cooked. MASH until smooth or until there are no more LARGE clumps. Add Cheese Whiz and onion flakes and combine till all mixed together.

To make a Perogie:

I used a can to cut out my Perogie dough - I used a Baked Bean can.

Take a small handful of dough and roll it out with a rolling pin - run it through your pasta maker (we went to a #5 thickness)

Cut out rounds - FLIP the round over so the side that was touching your work surface is now the upside - add a small amount of filling to the round - MAKE SURE THERE IS NO FILLING TOUCHING the rim - Pinch close - repeat until all dough is done or until you run out of filling.

Place on a cookie sheet and freeze if you would like.

To cook them - put the Perogie's into a pot of boiling water - make sure it's a low boil and not a rapid boil as that could break the Perogie open.

Serve with onions! and ENJOY!

Much Love
xoxo

Photobucket

Vote For Us @ topbabyblogs.com! Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear what you think...even if you don't like it!