Thursday, January 10, 2013

Bed sharing - why we do it

Before James was born, Chris and I had set up his nursery with everything he would need. A crib, a bassinet for those early days, a change table/dresser etc. We even had a single bed in his room so I could sleep there so it would be easier to nurse in the middle of the night.



Little did we both know - that for four months we would BOTH sleep in that SINGLE bed - while James slept soundly in his bassinet. Yes, you read that right. Chris and I for four months slept in a single bed. We shared nighttime duties. Chris would change Jimmy and then I would nurse. I tired bed sharing with Jimbo around 4 months but he wanted nothing to do wit hit. He was a wiggle worm and would cry. So after he reached his weight limit in the bassinet he transitioned him to his crib.

Now Graham is a COMPLETELY different story. He has slept in bed with us since the day he was born. AND I LOVE IT!

When Graham was born, I pretty much rocketed him out. He didn't have much time to get squeezed through the birth canal. This meant he had a lot of mucus left. The first night after nursing non stop for 3 hours, as I was just about the fall asleep Graham spat EVERYTHING up - and then some. Oh my goodness I was so scared because he was choking - or at least that's what I thought was happening. I got him cleaned up and went back to nursing. He finally fell asleep for about 2 hours and then woke again by doing the same thing.

When my midwife came back the next day to do his PKU I asked if this was normal. She explained that it was a reflux - he is instinctively trying to clean whatever was left over from birth and not to worry about it. I was more worried that he wasn't getting enough to eat but she assured me everything was fine.

So when nighttime came I was a little hesitant to put him in his own playpen. I nursed and put him down and again - he spat up. Again it sounded like he was gasping for air - I freaked out again and quickly grabbed him and then he started to cry. I felt helpless at that point. My poor newborn was puking up everything I would feed him. So again, I nursed him and this time rather than putting him back into his play pen, I placed him between Chris and I and drifted back to sleep.

Graham woke up to feed again and I found it SO much easier to nurse him lying down. After night 3 - he didn't spit anything up, but he did wake up 'gasping'. Again I asked my midwives about it and they again said - it's just the remains of whatever was left. I asked if it was ok that he was sleeping in bed with us as my Public Health Nurse said it was dangerous and that we shouldn't do it. Janice looked at me and said "There is nothing wrong with bed sharing. As long as you do it safely".

That was it for me. We got the bed rail out - got it set up and that was that. I have tried to put Graham to bed in his own pack'n'play but it only lasts for about 30 seconds. He likes to know that I am right there - which is totally fine by me. They are only this little for such a short amount of time so I am going to soak up all the baby cuddles I can.

Graham's 10 weeks now and we are still bed sharing. I get a more sound sleep knowing he is right there, I can hear him breath - I can nurse him SUPER easily and diaper changes in the middle of the night are super quick. I also think he gets a better night sleep knowing I am right there. I hope to continue this till at least four months - who knows maybe I will continue until he's ready to move... but for the time being he will be in bed with us.

 Plus, did I mention how much I love the snuggles??

Much love
xoxo
Photobucket
Vote For Us @ topbabyblogs.com! Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

2 comments:

  1. We also bed share however I am trying to avoid it with LJ. It took months of screaming and sleepless nights to transition Lil Mister to his own bed at the age of one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to try to transition him in a couple of months - at the moment he won't sleep by himself at all. I have a feeling it's going to be difficult but right now it's so worth it!

      Delete

Would love to hear what you think...even if you don't like it!